Sunday, September 21, 2008

What did I miss?

I am teaching RS next Sunday and have been studying the lesson "Daughters of God" by Elder Ballard and there is a point he makes that has had me thinking for the past two weeks. He says, "recognize the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." Then he shares a story of a mother who was looking at a photograph taken when her children were very young and they were having a picnic. She says she couldn't remember what they ate, what they talked aboutt, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. She says, "I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the nest thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." As I have thought about this and tried to emulate it I have had some sweet moments and times with Madison. I try and be in the moment and not there with my mind somewhere else. I have read books with Madison, watched her play, memorized her smile and funny faces, and tried to listen and play with her like Brian does. It's been humbling and amazing! I thought I would just pass it on. I want to frame the quote so I always remember. Madison is asking me to come and play with her on the bed, so I must go:)

4 comments:

Valli & Coleman McVea said...

I like that quote. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could be there to hear your lesson.

Rachel Holloway said...

I have heard this quote a lot lately. It really does make you stop and think...and want to change and really be in the moment...in every moment. Thanks for sharing again. It never does get old.

Stephanie said...

Oh. Thanks for the reminder. I taught this lesson a while ago and I still need to be reminded of "moments" every day. Thank you. Also, sorry about getting the boot at Sachem. Yeah, it's nice to move into a better place, but I feel your pain for having to move!!! Your girls are adorable. I need to see them in real life sometime here soon, huh???

Tamara said...

Isn't it wonderful what WE learn when we are called to teach a lesson. That is a great quote...I'm going to post it on my frig!