Thursday, October 21, 2010

Humpty Dumpty Fell off the wall

Today was one of those days that will be a comic relief one day to talk about.  During Madison's appointment Abby was squirming around on Brian's lap when she fell and hit her head on the hard, tiled floor.  I heard the crack and waited for the worst.  She came up crying, but there wasn't any blood and she seemed ok.  The doctor jumped up and got a cold pack for her and then tried to make us feel better before moving on with the appointment.  We did get out of there without any more major catastrophes, but that was short lived.  After the girls napped, they were playing together and having a blast putting a large, fluffy, white blanket over their heads and then tying a scarf around that to keep it covering their entire bodies.  Madison had covered Abby many times and since Abby couldn't do it to Madison very well Madison asked me while I was sitting on the toilet.  I reluctantly covered her head and tied the scarf around her body to keep the blanket on and next thing I hear is, "Abby, where do I go?"  I then see out of the corner of my eye Abby leading Madison right to the basement stairs.  I jump off the toilet, pull up my pants as much as possible, and run to try and stop the inevitable.  I remember screaming as I watched Madison walk blindly off the top step and fall head over heels all the way down to the bottom of the steps.  I am halfway down the stairs when Madison finally lets out the scream of utter terror, surprise, and pain.  I untangle her from the blanket and take her up in my arms.  I am still in shock at what just happened as Madison screams once again in my ears and grasps my neck not willing to let go.  Her embrace tightens as I try and pry her loose to talk to her and express my empathy for what just happened, but she will not yield.  At this point I give up and look over at Abby.  Her eyes are huge, wide open and filled with confusion and sadness.  She feels she did something wrong, but doesn't understand why Madison fell down the stairs.  She doesn't utter a 'sorry Madison', but stands there, frozen in one position, wanting to be comforted.  I pass off Madison and grab Abby in a huge embrace.  She clings to me and continues to look at Madison with a confused, dazed look.  I would like to say this was the last fall of the day, but later on Madison fell off the porch and then later tripped on the playground structure hitting her shin on the metal platform.  I am now finishing my day and am just grateful all children are alive and well.  I can't imagine the drama with more than two.  We have been to the Dr. office 4 times in the past 3 weeks and only one was a well child visit:-)  Don't ask...

4 comments:

Tracy Cowley said...

Man it sounds like you had a bad day yesterday. Sorry. :( I'm glad that Madison wasn't seriously injured. Hope things aren't as hectic for you today. Love ya!

mer and mel said...

That sounds a little like my week. First, Ethan ate 15 of Dylan's prevacid. So I called poison control and they said he would probably get a little diahrrea but he would be ok. The next day, he ate the WHOLE bottle of Dylan's colic tablets. there are 125 in there. Did I want to call poison control twice in 1 week.....maybe not such a good idea. Then this morning I caught him before he could drink the tylenol. I guess my hiding spots aren't so hidden. And ps- it is harder with 3 :)

Tamara said...

How sad!! Hope tomorrow is a better day!!!! :)

Valli & Coleman McVea said...

Oh Sarah, I just gasped as I read your account of your day in the life of two daughters. I am so glad you are writing it down because no one would believe it in years to come. They will just say you lumped it all together but it happened over time, not in one day. I love and miss the girls! Well, of course I miss you all!