Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The power of wood!!!

I can't express the joy I feel going into a home depot and walking down the power tool isle.  I get this high from going to the wood shop and creating something out of nothing!  I use scrap wood from headboards, pallets, anything I can find really.  Someone just dropped off a maple wood futon frame that I hope to make a wooden toy box bench.  I love cutting the wood, drilling holes, glueing it together, sanding off the gross stuff to reveal the beauty that is hidden beneath.  Each piece has a character of it's own that is just waiting to be recognized and recreated into something of use.  I love saving pieces from the landfill or the burn pile.  I drive around looking in garbages and on the side of the road for pieces just waiting to be taken home and remade into a treasure.  Madison loves projects too and is always there to help put it together and break it apart.  It's a joy I learned from my parents.  We had a sign in our home that said, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

No comments: