Sunday, April 05, 2009

Dr. Madison

Most kids play doctor and just wing it. Madison on the other hand follows the correct order of how to assess a patient:
Since Brian is about to go and take a test in Philadelphia where he will have 12 mock patients all acting out an ailment, he has to practice and has been using me as the mock patient. Madison is awake sometimes and has seen Brian do these 3 or 4 times. She sits on the bed and observes. Little did we know how well she was observing until last night when she wanted to play doctor. First I will tell you how Brian does his visits. He knocks on the door and comes in with his paper on a clipboard, pen in hand, and stethoscope around his neck. He comes in and introduces himself saying, “Hello Mrs. ___________ I am Dr. Evans and will be your doctor today.” He then goes on to ask what brings me in today and then asks a list of questions as he tries to figure out what is wrong with me. He then asks if he can do a physical exam where he will listen to my heart, lungs (and say breath in deep, again, again, again, as he moves the stethoscope), he then will palpate my stomach or anywhere else that I have a complaint with. And then give me the diagnosis or things it could be and then shakes my hand and leaves.
Madison last night brought in a piece of paper, a pink highlighter, and had her stethoscope around her neck. This is how the encounter went:
M: “Hi, I am the Doctor, and you are Dr. Groff (her pediatrician). Where does it hurt?”
S: “I have a bad pain in my stomach.”
M: “Oh, so, do you have pressure?”
S: “Yes, in my stomach.”
M: “oh, so, do you have limocomoted (some made up word)?”
S: “no.”
M: “Do you have kandostofer?”
S: “Yes, but only when I breathe.”
M: “Ok, well I need to check your heart.”
S: “Ok”
M: Places stethoscope on my heart…I begin to breath deep thinking that she doesn’t know that the breathing part is when she is checking my lungs on my back. She says, “Stay still.” She then proceeded to make me sit up where she checks my lungs and says, “Take a deep breath.” Repositions the stethoscope and says, “again, again, again.” She then has me lay down again and listens to my stomach and tells me to say “E” (just like Brian does). It was so cute. She then placed the stethoscope back around her neck and with paper in hand she wrote some notes and then gave me my diagnosis. My problem was too much pressure. When Madison did it with Brian she diagnosed him with pinches and gave him some pills to get better. It was really cute!

I was then the doctor and got to ask her some questions. These were some of the questions and some of the answers. This is her train of thought as I wrote it down in my notes I was taking as I was examining her.
Where are you hurting?: I hurting on my foot cause there’s an owee on my foot.
Any other complaints?: I have much pressure.
Where?: on my belly
Do you know why you have much pressure on your belly?: I drink much milk in my mouth and I drink much water in my mouth too.
What medicine do you take for this?: big pressures
Where is the pressure?: Right here (points to upper quadrant of stomach)
Do you have diarrhea?: yes
Chills?: yes
Fever?: yes
Do you have children?: I have lots of children
How many?: I have one, two , three, four, five. One fell and was sick and went to the hospibal. I had to go to hospibal too.
What brought you into the hospital?: Daddy. It was just one kid. When I fall down the stairs I have headache?
At this point she told me to hurry up.
What do you take for the headaches?: moon pressure in the morning when I wake up.
I then gave her my diagnosis and then said goodbye. She then went on to make her baby better by doing the exam to her baby☺
I love how she always says that daddy is going to make people better at the hospibal (that is how she says it). She really believes that and that Brian can make anything better. I hope that is always true☺

2 comments:

Emily said...

Okay seriously, Madison is hilarious! she must be non stop entertainment!

SP said...

That was truly funny.