Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tornado touched down a few miles away!

We have these really BAD storms here and they have a tornado siren that goes off. It's this really eery sound...anyway, it went off yesterday and then this storm rolled in. We had a bad one a few days ago where the clap of thunder woke me up from a dead sleep and I jumped! During that storm someone was killed while driving due to a tree limb falling on their car and another house was struck by lightning and caught fire. Needless to say we were a bit nervous yesterday and then the siren went off! We watched the news and found out 2 tornados had been sighted and touched down and one was just a few miles from here. This is all new to us, but good thing we have a basement to go to. It was 9:30 at night, so we didn't wake up the girls and head to the basement. Maybe we should have, but I had painted all day and was exhausted and so I just went to bed once it had died down a bit. Brian slept with the girls in their room. I wouldn't have guessed the Brian and Madison could both fit on a twin mattress! And here we are getting a King:-) I guess he needs less room than I thought:-) We are busy furnishing our house, painting, picking up items for free, looking on craigslist a million times/day, taking the kids here and there for ward members to watch them, oh, did I mention painting? I didn't realize what a huge job that would be, but we have spent hours painting and finished the living room, kitchen, and one half bath that needs another coat of paint. We still have the stair way, hallway, bathroom upstairs, and three bedrooms. Wish me luck.

On a happier note, we have been so blessed and gotten many things for free. Just to mention a few are a full bed with boxspring and frame, bookshelf, silverware, lamps, floor lamps, green leather furniture (used, but functional), dresser, blender, microwave, stroller, small entertainment shelf, end table, full length mirror, etc. We have truly been blessed! It's all working out for us. I know the Lord watches over us and has shown us that time and time again. I keep wondering when he is going to stop and say, "that's enough blessings for now:-)" well, back to work:-) I will post pictures of our place when it's all finished. Brian wants to move in this weekend before he starts his surgery rotation. So far it's working out. We still won't have everything, but enough to live there!

3 comments:

kimi + joe said...

Oh my, that tornado sounds rather unpleasant. Glad you all are a-ok. Well done on your craigslist finds. We adore that site and have furnished nearly our entire apartment by it.

Tamara said...

scary!! We have those here too, but now I'm getting used to them. I don't think the Lord will let a tornado hit Nauvoo! :)

Emily said...

That's so scary Sarah! I didn't realize Michigan had the threat of tornadoes. I'm anxious to see your paint job on your apartment!