Saturday, December 25, 2010

Making Ginger Bread Houses...

 She really enjoyed the candy unlike Madison who was so intent on decorating that she didn't eat or ask for a single piece until she was all finished! 
 Abby's tilt and half smile.  Madison taught it to her:-)
Madison and Brian worked on one and Abby and I worked on another one.  Madison was the expert and kept telling Brian how to do it:-)  This brought back a memory of making ginger bread houses with my grandma Nichols.  She was a widower and lived in this apt. that had a huge rock out front that came with a story.  I'll save that for another post.  Anyway, she had gotten all sorts of cool candy, stuff I didn't even know existed like rock candy.  It was so cool to have candy that looked like rocks to decorate our houses with.  She won me over then.  What a great grandma to do that for us grandchildren and make it so much fun.  I remember she had a cup that had writing on it, but it was upside down, so in order to read it you had to flip it upside down.  I did this and it was full of hot chocolate which I spilled all over the table.  The saying was "If anything can go wrong it will."  My grandma had such a sense of humor and just laughed as she cleaned it up and explained it to me.  She didn't make me feel dumb or bad about it.  Thanks Grandma N.
The finished Products.  They had so much fun and we had lots of leftover Halloween candy for the project!  Guess whose is whose.

2 comments:

kimi + joe said...

I love making gingerbread houses during the holidays! Hopefully it's a tradition you're able to continue for many years. It really is a great way to use up old candy, although somehow we never have old candy -- hmm...

Tracy Cowley said...

Your cup story reminded me of how my Dad at a Thanksgiving party with my Mom's family told my cousin who was my age that there were instructions on the bottom of his cup that told you how you were supposed to drink out of your cup. Well my cousin believed him and turned his cup over dumping his drink all over the table. It was pretty funny. I think the pictures and video's are great. I love hearing your voice. I need to give you a call, maybe this weekend if things aren't busy. I'll have to send you some pictures of my brothers baby lambs so you can show them to your girls. I'll try to get a video of some of them and send that too.